.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Proviso Probe

Friday, July 04, 2008

did you get an email about so-and-so losing her/his wallet in Nigeria?

Be careful of Internet scams.

I received the following email from the local public figure.
Hello,

How are you doing?Please i need a huge favor from you.I have to be quite brief about my present situation which requires your urgent response and help..Actually, I had a trip to Nigeria for a official purpose but unfortunately for me i was robbed on my way back from a meeting and the robbers went away with my money and some other valuablesi
I am so confused right now, I dont know what to do or where to go.I have access to only emails at the moment because my cell can't work here so i didn't bring it along.Even if it is a loan i can pay back when i get home.I need about $3200 to get the hotel bills sorted out.As soon as I get home i would refund it immediately.
Write me so i can let you know how to send it.Even if you can't afford all please try and arrange the little you can so i can come back home.I hope you read and
respond to this email on time because i am desperately in need of urgent help.
Await your swift response
[name redacted]

I don't have this person's phone number in my mobile phone, but I strongly suspect this is a scam.

The New York Times (David F. Gallagher) has an article on this.
Here’s how it works: The scammer somehow breaks into a victim’s Web-based e-mail account. He then impersonates the victim and sends an emergency plea for help to everyone in the account’s address book, asking them to wire money to Nigeria. The e-mail includes some variation on a story about getting mugged or losing a wallet while on a trip to Nigeria.

I'll put some research into verifying this public official is OK, but my guess is that s/he is fine, minus getting control of his/her Yahoo email account.

I've learned to hate strongly dislike (MLK said, "Hate is too great a burden to bear.") Yahoo at my place of employment. The spam filter sends legit emails to spam and allows way too much spam. Other web-based email seems to be much better, especially Gmail.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

  • Nah, I'm fine, But I hear Nigeria
    is beautiful this time of year :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:39 PM, July 04, 2008  

  • I was so worried about reading that distressing message from District 209 School Board member and Eugene Moore's and Chris Welch's boy, Brian Cross,that I sent him $300.00 I hope he makes it back from Lagos.

    Wonder how much the 209 board sent to him? Did the 209 board also vote to pay for the trip back for Brian?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:44 PM, July 05, 2008  

  • I read that interesting letter/e-mail about Brian Cross getting stuck in Nigeria and just laughed out loud.
    Now how come that can't truely happen to Chris Welch,bob Libka and the 209 board? Can you imagine ,it would be like Gilligan's Island!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:31 PM, July 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home