Proviso Township High Schools worst in Illinois in multiple categories
Proviso scores went down absolutely (less students meet or exceed standards) and relative to other districts. Last year Proviso could at least claim to have more students meeting standards than Bloom.
District 209's dropout rate is tied with Odin (Marion, IL) for #1 in Illinois.
District 209 has the second highest rate of chronic truancy.
District 209 has more low income students than most districts. However, many districts have more low income students. And even in these poorer districts, more students meet or exceed standards.
And District 209 spends more per pupil than most districts.
Who is to blame?
- The District 209 board of education, especially, board president Emanuel "Chris" Welch
- The unions
- The mayors
- Karen Yarbrough, the Democratic Committeeman
- Charles Flowers, the former Regional Superintendent of Education
- Illinois State Board of Education
- Cook County States Attorney
- Superintendent Nettie Collins-Hart and her predecessors, especially Robert Libka
- U.S. Attorney Northern Illinois District
- board members of Proviso's elementary school districts
- Gov. Pat Quinn
- The voters
In different ways, all these people could have made a difference and improved D209 and the education received by D209 students. And all of these people did too little.
Flowers might be able to plead that he was simply a fuck-up and didn't really have the ability to make a difference. But let's be honest. When he got elected Regional Superintendent he was more focused on taking care of his people than making a difference in the quality of education received by students.
Quinn's influence is weak and extends through the Illinois State Board of Education. But I suspect if he lit a fire under the ass of the state superintendent of education, things could be made better.
Proviso property owners pay taxes for services. They don't like getting ripped-off, but they aren't mad enough about it to take effective action.
|6||Township HSD 214||70|
|8||Oak Park & River Forest||68|
|9||Con HSD 230||67|
|11||Township HSD 211||66|