.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Proviso Probe

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

killing for a cause you don't believe in


In These Times (Joel Bleifuss) has an article on Vincent J. Emanuele, a Marine Corps veteran who participated in the invasion and occupation of Iraq. (Photo from In These Times)

When did you change your mind about the wisdom of this war?


In 2004. What did it for me was Fahrenheit 9/11, which really gave me a new perspective.

Being over there with an antiwar mindset was difficult. The guys I was with knew I was opposed to the war, and I had a lot of support from them, even if they didn’t agree with me. But whenever I would voice my opinion to commanding officers, I was told to shut up.

Knowing what I knew, it was difficult to go on combat patrols and kick doors in and have to pull my trigger in self-defense. My attitude shifted particularly in terms of not wanting to take anyone’s life. Unfortunately, we encountered scenarios that dictated differently.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home