.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Proviso Probe

Thursday, April 27, 2006

ETHNICITY, Native American sports imagery [W]

Westchester Middle School is probably going to ditch the Native American profile from its team identity. See Westchester Herald (Chris Lafortune).

As I understand it, Native American activist objections are focused on racist terminology like "Redskin" and "Squaw" and demeaning performances, like the Chief Illiniwik dance.

If you don't understand the concern about dancing, read the lyrics of The Ballad of Ira Hayes by Pete LaFarge (scroll down).
Ira Hayes returned a hero -- celebrated through the land,
He was wined and speeched and honored -- everybody shook his hand;
But he was just a Pima Indian -- no water, no home, no chance;
At home nobody cared what Ira done -- and when do the Indians dance?

1 Comments:

  • Mr. Potato Head, Why do you support Welch?
    *****I am very fond of Mr. Welch. He has given me the opportunity to run a school district without having the proper certification. Welch is a wonderful man who has done so much stealing, sorry I mean great things for the community. And as a former clown for the circus I think I have moved up to a really good job thanks to Mr. Welch, I was the best clown north of the Mason Dixie Line. I had a big red nose and shiny black shoes, and I could run really fast and jump really high. Sorry, what was the question again.

    Do you even know the name of the District you work for Mr. Potato Head?
    *****Oh, yes, wait let me call Welch up and ask him if it is okay to give out that confidential information. What was the question again?

    Mr. Potato Head tell the community what are your plans to help bring up the test scores in Proviso?
    *****Well, I don't know. I think we are doing a pretty good job compared to the schools in Iraq. I think I will have to call Welch up and ask him what to say before I put my foot in my mouth again. Wait a minute, Were am I?

    One last question Mr. Potato Head before your head begins to hurt from thinking. Do you agree with the political mess Welch has continued in the schools and do you agree with the political hirings?
    *****Well, I don't think I have messed on myself.

    No, No, Mr. Potato Head. I asked you do you agree with the political mess Welch has created?
    ****Wait a minute, did Welch mess on himself? Because if he did this is the last time I am cleaning his underpants! He messed on himself at the last board meeting and I had to stay after and clean it up. I can't keep changing his DEPEND diapers.

    Mr.Potao Head I have no further questions. It seems that 209 has to start at the top and eliminate you, the MORON, before they can become a better district.
    *****I agree and thank you for the opportunity to have this educational discussion. Say it loud Students first and , I am not a crook!

    By Blogger Mister_Potato_Head, at 9:46 PM, April 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home