.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Proviso Probe

Monday, November 14, 2005

BLOG, ethics guidelines

Eric Zorn pointed me to A Blogger's Code of Ethics.

Since Proviso Probe gets a little rough, it seems like I should discuss which of these ethical standards I accept and which I reject.

Bloggers should be honest and fair in gathering, reporting and interpreting information.

I am hesitant to embrace "fairness". I make choices in what I do and don't cover. I make choices in what stories I spend time researching. These are editorial decisions. If you think I'm being unfair, you are free to challenge me. If the criticism is reasonably respectful I will make an effort to explain why I did what I did.

Distinguish between advocacy, commentary and factual information.

I don't think I try to hide what's what, but readers have to apply some common sense. I'm not going to use three different fonts for advocacy, commentary and factual information.

Comments?

5 Comments:

  • It's obvious you do not live by anyone's code of ethics. I still can't believe you attended the Naval Academy. You look like a junky. Also, you clearly don't play fair. You're biased and incompetent.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:04 PM, November 14, 2005  

  • Truth Serum says...

    This is Mayhood, your not gonna git a Starbucks conversation Carl...Not with all the salt pork people

    Read and you shall discover a different world in blogging....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:02 PM, November 14, 2005  

  • Hey Frank Lay off the Mojitos

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:16 PM, November 14, 2005  

  • How have I been unfair?

    How am I incompetent?

    By Blogger Carl Nyberg, at 3:31 PM, November 15, 2005  

  • I want Welch supporters to participate in Proviso Probe. The more people participating in democratic discussion the better.

    I agree that namecalling gets old.

    People who don't accept the Bible as holy are welcome on Proviso Probe too.

    By Blogger Carl Nyberg, at 1:42 PM, November 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home